REBOOT Laboratory is a studio in which artists and designers work collaboratively with the lab’s director Rob Duarte to create works that utilize the waste materials produced by capitalism and conspicuous consumption. Our approach is rooted in the visual arts and is driven by our collective knowledge of process, materials, and hands-on experimentation.
REBOOT projects afford a critical look at the logical consequences of the ways in which we produce, consume, and discard the objects that make up our designed world. These explorations of the political and environmental implications of consumer culture occur through a hands-on process of thinking and making, with a goal of provoking discussion and action that will bring about alternative, preferred futures.
- 2023 (forthcoming) R-CADE Symposium, Rutgers-Camden Digital Studies Center, Camden, NJ
- 2018 “REBOOT Laboratory: Critical Repair and Maintenance”, Thirteenth International Conference on The Arts in Society, Emily Carr University of Art + Design, Vancouver, Canada
- 2017 ACCelerate Festival, Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Washington DC
- 2017 “The Politics of Repair, Redesign, Reinvention”, College Arts Association Conference (CAA)
- Rob Duarte, Director
- Matt Jeffs, Artist in Residence
- Celeste Ivory, Graduate Student Artist/Researcher (2017-2019)
- Juliana YoungMan, UROP Student Researcher (2022-2023)
- Amanda Pereira, Brazil IIE Student Researcher (2016)
- Kevin Hernandez, UROP Student Researcher (2015-2016)
- Sarah Morell, UROP Student Researcher (2015-2016)
- Colin Huse, Graduate Student Intern (2017)
- Tali Nir, Volunteer Student Researcher (2015-2016)